SARTUC Executive Board Meeting
3 November, 2014
The meeting was kicked off with a welcome address by SARTUC General Secretary, Mr. Laxman Basnet. The welcome note was followed by brief addresses from Mr. Noriyuki Suzuki (General Secretary, ITUC-AP), and Dr. G. Sanjeeva Reddy (President, SARTUC).
After the introductory session, Mr. Laxman Basnet updated the Executive Board regarding the finances and ongoing activities of SARTUC. Next up, Mr. Basnet provided a status update to the Board vis-Ã -vis recognition of SARTUC as a SAARC apex body. He noted that all the necessary procedural steps had been cleared and that now it was contingent upon the member countries to decide on the matter during the upcoming SAARC Summit. The delegates also agreed to raise this issue during the meeting the Rt. Hon. Prime Minister of Nepal, Mr. Sushil Koirala, and to request his support on the matter. Apart from the issue of apex body status, the Board also decided to raise the issue of a SAARC-level mechanism on labour migration during the aforementioned meeting.
Following the meeting of the SARTUC delegation with the Prime Minister of Nepal, the Board reviewed the achievements of the same. The delegates concluded that the Prime Minister was positive regarding the proposals put forward by SARTUC. Following the meeting review, Mr. Basnet provided the Board with an update on the situation of SARTUC programs on migration in five of the SARTUC member countries. He focused particularly on the progress of activities being supported by the ILO, which are currently being piloted in Nepal. Following the status update, the delegates suggested the inclusion of precarious workers and informal workers as components of the migration program. Concluding the meeting, the delegated agreed that the next Executive Board meeting would be held in Pakistan.
- G. Sanjeeva Reddy â€“ President of SARTUC as well as president of ITUC â€“ AP
- Noriyuki Suzuki â€“ General Secretary of ITUC-AP
- Laxman Basnet â€“ General Secretary of SARTUC
- P. Haridasan â€“ ITUC-AP
- Shah Mamud Abu Zafar â€“ President of BLF
- Sukkur mamud â€“ President of JSL
- Khila Nath Dahal â€“ President of NTUC
- Bishnu Rimal â€“ President of GEFONT
- Salik Ram Jammarkattel â€“ President of ANTUF
- Usha Devkota â€“ Secretary of SARTUC
- Indra Deo Yadv â€“ Administrative Officer of SARTUC
- Ashim Bhattari â€“ Consultant of SARTUC